Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Color Test for Jay Girl

Here is a color test for my storyboard job with Vinark Motion Pictures, "Jay Girl." He has directed me towards the intro for Spiderman 2 where the credits are rolling and the camera pans and zooms into detailed watercolor illustrations of the Spiderman characters. I wanted to keep this sort of painterly element and even though I am digitally coloring this project it comes off convincing as a watercolor technique.
These characters are owned by Vinark Motion Pictures.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is really great. But I'm trying to figure out what your "base color" selection method is. Is it the lightest and then you apply shades, or is it a middle value and you apply both tints and shades? With non-virtual watercolors it's almost always lighest first, obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I do the lightest first because in watercolor it's layers of color but in real time. It's much easier to add than subtract. I spent a great deal of time during college watercolor painting and am now trying to translate it to digital medium.

    ReplyDelete