Wednesday, September 18, 2013

What Have I Been Up To?

It's been a while... what have I been up to?

Well... sooo much!

Summer reading has come and gone. I taught a total of 15 classes for children/teens and adults, including: Drawing, 3D Animation, Traditional Animation, Photoshop, Typography, Intro to Mac Computers, Microsoft Word, iPad, Film Making, and much more. One of my colleagues, Jim Sidletsky, was nice enough to teach a 3 part series on Game Design for our library. He used Unreal Development Kit- I got to learn the basics too.

Oh, I've also been dabbling in Unity, too. Basically, level design.


I attended the SCAD Educator's Essentials Conference in July. I had a blast. During my week there, I got to meet some awesome fellow educators, such as this lady.
I took a Digital Photography class that week and actually learned what the specifics are, such as F-stop, shutter speed, ISO, etc. It was very enlightening. I then took a Photoshop class and decided to make this photo look old.
The last class I took that week was a Film Making class on a budget. How do you teach students how filmmaking with smartphones, digital cameras, and low end technology? After getting a taste of After Effects and Premiere, I was set. I really enjoy After Effects.
The week at SCAD was great, no doubt. I enjoyed going back to my alma mater but I think more importantly, learning some new skills I did not have the opportunity to touch during my 6 year run there.


But wait, there's more...

What is going on with Undead Norm?

Well, Christine and I released issue #2 this past weekend at Soundwave. You can actually buy the issue at the store and online. 
So what is going on with this comic? It's been about a year since it's been updated. Well, I am taking on a new role in this project as the editor. It was a hard decision, but at the current time I am swamped, trying to do a lot of good to the community I serve. Christine will make a more official announcement on the website soon. Our friend, Michael Link, is going to pick up this story and become the penciler/inker. I had a lot of fun doing this work for issue #1 and #2, but I'm excited to take on my new role and have a final see on the layout of the story arcs and pages.

In the meantime, I have kept very busy. The library I work at is soon going to be getting a makerspace. In the coming months we will have 3D printers, a laser scanner and robotics kits for the community to learn from and more importantly, make! I have been learning Python programming language and will soon be working with other professionals on using electronics/robotics/3D printers.
Here is our logo so far:
This was modeled after da Vinci's aerial screw and early airplanes. One of our team members is currently working in Blender to animate this in 3D.
I think it will be pretty cool once completed.


What else? I've been pretty fascinated with glitching photos lately. This is when you purposely corrupt an image file by overwriting the code, either through text or audio. Here, let me show you.
This was a Bob Ross painting I found online. I used this for educational purposes, to figure out proper corrupting in TextEdit.
Isn't this cool? I feel like glitching photography is really a game of chance- you put the code in the right place and it will create a nice picture. Or, if you use Audacity to corrupt the .wav file, it's about the audio filters you use.


And last but not least, there's a new gentleman in my life. He's pretty cool, check him out here. He likes working with the community, academia, and basically social innovation, too. 






No comments:

Post a Comment