Sometimes in comics you have to design a really made up situation- the car crash. As unpleasant as they are, as a comic artist you should make sure the scene looks believable.
In Stranglehold I did a scene which called for a bully character to be placed onto the windshield. This was the result.
But now in Undead Norm, I have been asked to do a similar situation but from looking at the exterior of the car. First, I use reference. I download models from Google Sketchup to help me figure out the correct proportions/angles of the car.
From there I get a general idea with other photo reference how a car crash 'could' happen.
Pretty scary but I try to not be too gruesome.
As an instructor I have taught my students to use reference to their advantage. As a commercial artist a client will always request the artist to make visuals looks believable, even if they are made up situations. If it helps even to act out poses it will make you a stronger artist in the long run. Artists (developing and professional) who utilize a variety of reference material will be superstars.




No comments:
Post a Comment